If you spent any time in the online business world, you may have heard the term Virtual Assistant, or VA for short, being tossed around. You are overwhelmed and overworked and thinking this assistant thing might just help. Let me explain how you can boost your business by hiring a VA!
Why Hire a VA?
- Having a Virtual Assistant allows you to be more focused and productive.
- You will have MORE TIME to focus on your big-picture business goals and DO the things you love.
- A Virtual Assistant can help you to scale your business, reaching more people than you ever imagined.
- Free up your time to spend more time on doing what you love, by doing less of the tasks you don’t love.
- Having a Virtual Assistant is cost effective. You will have more time to focus on your clients and do the tasks that actually make you money. Additionally, you don’t have to pay for traditional employee benefits, like health insurance or workers compensation, and you won’t need to rent office space.
Now you’re convinced that you need a Virtual Assistant! You know that a Virtual Assistant can save you time and money. Whether you’re hiring one Virtual Assistant or a team, there are still more questions you need to answer.
WHERE DO I FIND A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT?
- Referrals, referrals, referrals – Hands down this was the number one answer to a poll I set up in a Facebook group. Ask your colleagues if they can recommend a Virtual Assistant. Discussing how to hire a Virtual Assistant with other business owners will also help you learn from their mistakes.
- Facebook groups – The right Facebook groups are probably the best place after a personal referral. Ask in the entrepreneur or freelancing groups you belong to or join a Virtual Assistant group. Most Facebook groups have a collaboration day where you can post what you need or are looking for. Three of my favorites for women entrepreneurs are: Living the Laptop Life: A Group For Online Service Providers + Marketers, Boss Moms, and Savvy Business Owners with Heather Crabtree.
- LinkedIn – You can use the search bar at the top to search Virtual Assistant in the title. You can search for Virtual Assistants in your specific industry.
- Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest – Search #virtualassistant or #virtualassistantservices or virtual assistant on Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest. This is a good option if you’re looking specifically for help using one of these platforms.
- Fiverr & UpWork – Here you will find Virtual Assistants with much cheaper hourly rates but remember that you get what you pay for. Many of these Virtual Assistants are located overseas and may not be proficient in English. Communication may be difficult due to the time zone differences.
HOW MUCH DOES A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT CHARGE?
There is a wide range of experience and skill set. A Virtual Assistant who is starting out and doing general administrative work may charge $10-20 per hour. Hiring a highly skilled Virtual Assistant who is experienced and in demand may cost up to $200 per hour.
When hiring, you need to be very specific on what the job entails. If you need someone to perform general administrative work, hiring a well-known web designer for $100 per hour is not the best way to go! That is why you need to be specific on your needs. You could end up overpaying for a highly experienced Virtual Assistant with a skill set that you may not utilize.
The term Virtual Assistant is being tossed around loosely. What you may really need is an Admin VA to take the admin tasks off your to-do list.
Want someone to schedule your social media? Then look for a Social Media Manager. Need help with the tech stuff? Then a Tech VA may be what you are looking for.